Saturday, February 19, 2011

It’s Enlightenment, Baby

How does one reach enlightenment? Immanual Kant would say that one could only reach enlightenment when they are no longer immature; when they have learned the difference between their public and private uses of reason. According to Kant, one reaches enlightenment when they realize that thought they must obey the laws and regulations of society, it is their duty to speak out about the unfairness of said rules in a public forum.
I was surprised to find that for once, I actually agreed with one of the philosophers that we have been reading. I think in this instance, Kant is perfectly right. Take, for example, the current financial situation here at CSUN. I don’t feel that when our state’s budget is in crisis, the result is that I have to pay more money to receive an education; an education that means less and less. Right now having a Bachelor’s Degree is almost the same as having a high school diploma was when my mother was young, but tuition is so expensive that to get a Masters I would be in debt for years. I find this situation ridiculous, and I don’t feel as though I should be the one who pays for the mistakes of others. I will shout how I feel from the rooftops; goodness knows that  my family and most of my friends have had to hear me rant about it. Yet every semester will find me applying for loans and falling more into debt, because even though I don’t agree with it, and even though I will proclaim loudly that I am being short changed to anyone who will listen, it is still my responsibility as a student to pay the tuition required of me. Kant would say that this shows maturity, and that makes me closer to enlightenment, but that part I have to admit I am less in agreement with. I doubt anyone could believe such a thing if they saw me stomping my way down the hall at work when I am having a bad day.

No comments:

Post a Comment